One of the greatest masterpieces ever created by mankind. At the Accademia Gallery, you can admire from a short distance the perfection of the most famous statue in Florence and, perhaps, in all the world: Michelangelo’s .
The David statue was sculpted by the master Michelangelo between September 13, 1501 and its official launch on September 8, 1504, in the Palace "della Signoria", home of the civil government of Florence, at the time.
Commissioned to stand on a buttress of Florence Cathedral, but on completion it was considered extremely good and a survey of respected opinions (including those of Leonardo, Botticelli and Perugino) was taken before the site, in front of the Palazzo Vecchio, where a full-size copy still stands.
David Galleria dell’Academia di Firenze or "Gallery of the Academy of Florence", Italy.
The block of marble from which David was carved was first worked out by Agostino di Duccio in 1463 and then left. Antonio Rosselino failed to fulfil his commission to complete the giant in 1476.
Interior of the museum.
Due to the nature of the hero David who represented the statue soon it came to symbolize the defense of civil liberties embodied in the Florentine Republic, a city-state independent of the Papal States and threatened by unscrupulous and hegemonic Medici family.
David's eyes, with a warning glance, turned to the ruling Rome. The statue was moved to the Galleria dell'Accademia Florence in 1873.
The statue of David measured 5.17 meters tall because it represents more gigantic than the Biblical Goliath.