sábado, 7 de noviembre de 2015

November 7: The United Nations General Assembly issued a resolution under which demanded the immediate withdrawal of Israeli, British and French troops in Egypt, during the Suez Canal crisis, on November 7, 1956.




With Napoleon's campaign in Egypt, a feasibility study was ordered to open the channel, which joined the two seas. The estimated cost is too high and the project was postponed. In 1840 he resurfaced concerns. A second study showed that the estimated costs and presented to Napoleon I, they were wrong and that the project could be viable.






The French consul in Cairo, Ferdinad Count de Lesseps, was enthusiastic about the project and founded the Compagnie Universelle du Canal Maritime de Suez, with support of the French emperor, Napoleon III. Works began In 1859, through a 22% capital contribution by Mohammed Said Pasha, and the remaining 78% by French investors.







On November 16, 1869, Lesseps finished building the opened canal. The inauguration took place the next day. In late 1875, Benjamin Disraeli, who served as Prime Minister of Great Britain for the second time, acquired a 44% stake in the channel, in favor of the English crown by a money move on the Stock Exchange. The Egyptian debt had climbed and Disraeli took the change of buying Egyptian external debt stock of the Canal, and the rest was acquired from the French through the same stock exchange.






The Suez Canal Crisis was also known as the Sinai War. It was a massive Israeli invasion of Egypt which had the joint support of Britain and France, because Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal, which belonged to Britain.






First, Egypt blocked the passage of ships loaded with oil from Saudi Arabia and the Emirates towards Israel, Europe and the United States.





Britain had controlled the canal after France built it. Israel was increasingly threatened by a possible Egyptian invasion, with the help of the Soviet Union. Israel invaded Egypt and the next day France and Britain issued a joint statement to Nassar of Eygipt and began to bomb Cairo.




Israel was very efficient in achieving their military objectives. The Anglo-French forces withdrew by the end of the year. The Soviet Union and the United States forced the withdrawal of troops from the triple aggression and Assembly of the United Nations issued its resolution. Israel stayed until March 1957 prolonging the crisis. In April, Nassar ordered to open the channel again. Almost a global nuclear war could havae been unleashed.